Literature Background

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jane & Charlotte


The title of my blog being what it is, it would seem almost expected that I blog about books, literature or libraries. This hasn't ever really been done here. Not because I don't love to read, but because reading has taken a "back-burner" recently.

For most of my life I've been able to plow through pages and pages of novels, non-fiction and the like without much else seeming important enough to stop me. Now that I have a couple of "distractions" that seem a bit more worth my time... reading has fallen quietly into last place.

Any reading I do get to do usually occurs about 15-20 minutes before bed. I'll squeeze in as many lines as I can process before my brains shuts down and my eyes refuse to stay open any longer.

I love all sorts of literature. I love Harry Potter, went through a crazed Twilight stage, The Help was phenomenal and I even made my way through a Stephen King (shudder). But my favorite genre, the most beloved place in my reader's soul is reserved for the classics. This obsession began in middle school. I read and re-read The Secret Garden, Robin Hood (difficult!) and Treasure Island (my brain morphed my speech to that of a pirate's for an entire month).

Then, somewhere in high school I discovered Jane Austen. I fell in love with Elinor and Marianne, Jane and Elizabeth, Emma, Fanny and of course all of the gallant, noble men that tormented there souls and eventually blessed them with a "happily ever after."
With names like Mr. Knightley and Mr. Darcy what else could you expect?

I've recently re-read Pride and Prejudice, Emma and Mansfield Park. When I open these books I feel like I'm cozying up to and old friend and it. is. delightful!

This week, a friend of mine just told me there is a new Jane Eyre movie in theaters. Having never read this book, she quickly lent me her copy, telling to read it then see the film. I have read Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. While neither of the Bronte sisters' dark style is my favorite, I am intrigued by any book that has captured the attention of so many for almost 200 years. The little bit I have read about the Bronte sisters' difficult life makes their writing that much more fascinating.

Here's to a new (to me) book and I'm expecting, a good read!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Jane Eyre. But I wanted to kill those abusive children.

    ReplyDelete