Literature Background

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Like a Fish


Going to the gas station across the street from our apartment is always interesting. There is quite the conglomeration of people getting gas, coffee, beer, candy, etc.

Today I ran over to get a coffee. Auntie AJ kept Isaac so I wouldn't spill coffee all over the stroller like I did the last time.

As I walked up to the counter to purchase my $0.89 coffee (beat that Starbucks!), I noticed the line in front of me. Up at the counter was a tall white man purchasing a case of Bud Light. Behind him, two children of Latin American decent were waiting to buy their candy and snacks. Their father looked on from about 10 feet away, occasionally saying something to them in Spanish.

As the first man finished checking out he walked by the father of the two children, held up the case of beer and yelled right into his face, "I drink like FISH!" I suppose this was because the man he was speaking to was probably deaf and stupid.

As someone who spent a year among a Spanish-speaking people, I know that when speaking to someone who may or may not speak English, it can be very helpful to leave out articles in your sentences as you yell while grinning stupidly from ear to ear.

Not.

Oh, the best part? This same loud-mouthed man passed me in the street as I walked home. He rolled down his window and yelled, "que pasa, seƱorita!" Ca-lass-y.

On a much lighter note:

Here are a few pictures of my funny little baby. We love bananas!





This is what happens when I leave to get coffee. I'm not sure who I feel sorry for.

1 comment:

  1. "We love bananas!" I would never have known based on the photos lol :)

    ReplyDelete