Literature Background

Friday, December 3, 2010

Delight



I was having a sweet moment with Isaac earlier today. Once a week or so, he lays still and will let me cuddle with him. I was holding him, thanking God for the blessing he is. Overwhelmed by my love for him, I was thinking about the gift he is, what joy he has brought to our family, how much I love watching him grow and change every day.

What new insight into God's love for us, His children. My love for Isaac is a life-changing thing. I feel as if I could move a mountain, stop a train or die a thousand painful deaths if summoned to the challenge. Although I feel as if I could do these things, I obviously cannot. My imperfect love pales in comparison to that of our Heavenly Father for us!

Its was an incredible thing for me to step back and think on the love of God for His children in these terms. If my parental love for Isaac is this moving, how much more so is the perfect love of our Heavenly Father? As I gaze on my son with sheer delight at his very existence, how much more so does He gaze on us with the Delight of Heaven?

I love Zephaniah 3:17:

"The Lord your God is with you,
he is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
he will quiet you with his love,
he will rejoice over you with singing."


Don't let the familiarity of this verse allow it to leave you unmoved!

One of my favorite hymns and one I hope Isaac will grow up knowing every word of is "How Deep The Father's Love For Us."

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

No comments:

Post a Comment