Literature Background

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mother Knows Best

In case you were wondering, in this instance, I am not referring to my own vast store of knowledge (depending on how much time you have spent with me, that may shock you), but that of my mother. Really, to that of all who have come before me.

I may regret writing this out now as it seems my list is ever-expanding. (It is possible this is a Part 1) What list? Oh, that secret list that has been piling up in my head since Isaac was born. Its all the Mom-isms I never understood, or worse, judged my own mother for. I am now eating my (unspoken) words.

#1. "Vacation isn't vacation with small children."

I remember being annoyed that Mom didn't seem to be able to spend all day playing with us at the beach, even being offended when she didn't seem as rested and relaxed at the end of the day as we all had the privilege of being.

Josh and I are going away for the weekend in a few weeks and all I can think about is the amount of things I'll have to pack for Isaac, the meals that will have to be cooked, and whether or not the "fun activities," for example, bonfires and nature walks, will be cohesive to a nap schedule.

#2. "I only grocery shop at night."

Most of my memories of grocery shopping as a kid were fun. Riding in the "kid cart" (the grocery cart Dad got to push all four of us in while Mom used another for its more original purpose) and wanting to know why they put the pinto beans beside the tortillas, when obviously, those two belonged in different food categories.

When Isaac was just a few weeks old, I ventured out to Kroger to test out the family grocer-ing experience. He, of course, slept like a rock. Was I born with mommy-skills or what? About a month later, we were at Wal-Mart. The shopping experience started out like any other until baby boy woke up to find himself trapped in his car-seat. I spent the next half hour alternating between 1) sheepishly pushing my screaming child through the store while dodging looks varying from pity, to chagrin, to pure irritation, and 2) trying to hold a floppy three month old in one arm and push a shopping cart with the other. While leaving Isaac at home with Josh isn't an option every time we need food, I certainly appreciate the desire to make going to the grocery store an adults-only venture.


Oh that we could be born with an appreciation for the practical wisdom of the generation that comes before. Josh and I obviously still believe we know more than our parents -who doesn't?- and will probably continued to be humbled here and there as we move forward in marriage, parenting and life to find out "there is nothing new under the sun!"

My wonderful momma feeding Isaac his lunch. 1st time feeding my baby, 10,658th time feeding a baby.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this and so true...it never ends! I am still learning from my Mama and always sorry how little I have appreciated her over the years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this! You're hilarious.

    ReplyDelete